Shirt dresses are cool again!
As many of you know I am a massive fan of the shirt being a wardrobe hero and have written a number of blog posts on how to wear the shirt and how to move it on from season to season. As shirting continues to reign in fashion, inevitably it evolves into new areas to update this look. So it's no wonder that the iconic shirt dress is having a moment. Long or midi, or shorter in length, it's a simple work wear solution that looks sophisticated, stylish and oozes femininity.
Rock the dress over your trousers
But lately the style set has put a fresh spin on the frock, employing it as a jacket worn partially buttoned over jeans and t-shirts or layered over slip dresses. It's this summer's answer to layering. The layered look has been a popular trend in recent years, and this season, trendsetters are taking it a bold step further with the dress over trousers. If you are thinking of wearing a dress over trousers and wondering whether it even makes sense. Yes it does, and you’ll love it. This ‘90s inspired trend is a cool new way to update items you already own by pairing them in a unique way that might not initially come to mind.
How to wear this trend
If you’re in doubt how to pull off this tricky, yet cool trend, here are a few easy tips to follow, whether you want to go for a safe look or bolder style
1. Going long - you can go long or short when wearing dresses over trousers; but when going long make sure there is a revealing slit or buttons are slightly undone to reveal a pop of leg underneath to break it up.
2. Going short - When wearing shorter dresses, cropped trousers work better whether it be a pair of smart black trousers or denim jeans.
3. Wear with denim - team your favourite jeans with a pretty dress and it will instantly look more relaxed and effortless.
4. Play with proportions - for an edgy style play with the volume on your legs and wear a more fitted dress to balance them out.
5. Opt for heels - Unless you are very tall, the reinterpretation of the dress over pants trend looks best when worn with a mid to high heel as it will help you feel less frumpy.
6. Go bold & bright - go for bright colours or do a bit of splash of colours on your outfit. Pick one bright coloured staple among the neutrals to make it pop even more.
Other style influences
Naturally this styling trend is already evolving and can be seen pushing the style boundaries in other ways. Visit my blog again for style updates on this trend.